1. Use cloth shopping bags and metal or glass water bottles.
2. Don't use single-serving packaging, excess packaging, straws and other disposable plastics.
3. Carry reusable utensils in your bag or car to use at BBQs, potlucks or take-out restaurants.
4. Replace sandwich bags with a reusable lunch box/bag.
5. Bring your own to-go mug to the coffee shop. It's a great way to reduce waste from plastic cups and lids.
6. Go digital! No need for CD and DVD plastic cases when you buy music and videos online.
7. Recycle! Choose #1 (PETE) or #2 (HOPE) plastics, which are the most commonly recycled plastics.
8. Avoid plastic bags and styrofoam, as both typically have very low recycling rates.
9. Volunteer at a beach cleanup. Surfrider Foundation chapters hold cleanups frequently.
10. Support the right kind of legislation, including plastic bag and styrofoam bans and recycling bills.