An example of a Slyde Wedge Pro with kung-fu grip installed.
You found your hand slipping on your deck and you don’t like to use wax . So you purchased the Slyde kung fu-grip. Great choice! An epic grip is coming your way, but first you have to put it on the deck. Never fear, we have your back Here are 8 reasons the grip is so epic:
- Eliminates the need for wax
- Improved directional control and grip
- Absorbs chop shock
- Grooved grip top surface
- Single layer, 3/16 inch-5mm thick
- Beveled edge
- Dynamic design features
- Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound
It's easy, just pay attention and don't skip any steps. 1 fun hour with a beer! Another reason to have a beer
Removing all the wax and as much as you can before cleaning with denatured alcohol will make the next step far easier. Use a wax comb like pictured above or something like a credit card
Clean the deck with a rag and de-natured alcohol, or lacquer thinner (it’s stronger, be careful). It’s around $6 in the Home Depot paint department, next to the thinners.
Look into the reﬂection for any wax you missed
Kung-fu grip Installation
placing and align
carefully place your pad on the deck where you want it and trace your pad with a pencil on your board.
Starting at the top point of the pad, ONLY PEEL ABOUT 3 INCHES OF THE PAPER BACK. DON'T TOUCH THE STICKY ADHESIVE.
laying it down
It’s just like laying contact paper down on a cupboard shelf. Hold the pad perfectly centered over the board and trace line and place the sticky top edge inside your traced pencil mark. Lightly rest the adhesive (so you can pull back and reset it), then press from the center out to the edges of the pad.
pull paper out
If it looks good, reach under the pad, grab the paper ﬂap and pull all of the paper off the pad.
Finishing your Kung-fu grip Installation
- Get a big plastic mixing bowl, put your hand in the bowl and with smooth pressing strokes, go over the edges, and the main pad, from top to tail, in long smooth strokes. Pop any air bubbles with a tac/needle/pin. Erase the pencil mark with a damp cloth or white eraser..
- Screw the strap in over the installed grip. The grip is specifically designed for the Slyde Wedge Pro, Woody and Grom series.
Surf, Surf, Surf Till’ You Die.
Author: Steven Watts